NEXT FRN Network meeting
May 28 , 2019, Tuesday, 9:30 am – 11 am
at Campbell Woods, 1002 3rd Avenue
Huntington, WV 25701
TOPICS: Protective Factor – Concrete Support
- Concrete Support info- preventchildabusewv.org
- Special Presentation –Unicare presenting on Comfort Cases for foster care children – Ideas for distribution
- Background info- https://www.comfortcases.org/ – Many youth in foster care will be moved from home to home multiple times, carrying their life’s treasures in a trash bag. At Comfort Cases, we believe that every child deserves to feel a sense of dignity. Every child deserves to pack their belongings in a special bag that they can call their own. It is our mission as a charity to provide a proper bag, filled with comfort and essential items, to these brave youth in foster care on their journey to find their forever home.
- Activity – Divide up the last of the Summer Fun Guides for delivery to medical offices
- June 25th meeting at FRN office
Parking is available at meters, Pullman Square garage, or in the lot behind the building.
Resource Info Sharing: What’s new to share? Ongoing Networking Strategies Business outreach, connecting to community coalitions, upcoming events to partner with, etc.
RESOURCE LIST ON TWITTER: We’ve expanded our resource listings to Twitter!
If you want real-time updates from some of your favorite community resources, you don’t want to miss out on this opportunity! Subscribe to the list here: https://twitter.com/CabellFrn/lists/community-resources.
If you have a Twitter account for your organization and would like to be featured, email email@example.com with your Twitter handle (ex: @YOURNAMEHERE). We would love to add you to the growing list of resources!
Meetings will rotate locations throughout the year.
To stay informed, sign up for email bulletins on the Home page www.cabellfrn.org
NOTE: When signing up, it is a 2 step process for confirming your email address due to anti-spam rules. If you do NOT get the seconded email, contact the FRN office.
Meeting Schedule: The Cabell FRN meeting is the 4th Tuesday of the month at 9:30 am, from January through October. FRN will not meet on the 4th Tuesday during the weeks of Thanksgiving in November and Christmas and New Years in December.
Cancellation Policy: If countywide public school is canceled due to severe weather conditions flooding, snow, ice, flu, etc. or man – made disasters, FRN meetings will be cancelled. If school is on a delayed schedule, then watch for announcements about meeting changes.
WAYS TO STAY CONNECTED
Activities, events, and training workshops, community news are posted in
Activities, events, and training workshops are shared from a variety of community groups and organizations. Please share your events on this online calendar.
“Cabell Connections Community Events” Calendar:
Schedule of Community Coalitions:
Please check with the individual contacts for each event to find out more details prior to attending. Schedules are subject to changes.
April 23 , 2019 – Protective Factor -Positive Social Connections, Summer Fun guide ideas for distribution,
Turn in Spring Flower Power fundraiser orders
** SPECIAL EVENT – Ebenezer Preschool will be coming to plant a pinwheel garden
March 26, 2019 – Resources updates, Confirm Good Beginnings Campaign and Child Abuse Prevention month
February 26, 2019 – Methods of communicating about resources, Ideas for Good Beginnings Campaign and Child Abuse Prevention month, Launch of the Spring Flower Power fundraiser
January 22, 2019 – Presentation title: “Oral Health Resources Across the Lifespan” – A comprehensive review of available oral health resources and services that are available to the population that you serve. Presenters: Wendy Mosteller, RBA, RDH, CTTS and Janna Thornsbury, BS, RDH, NCTTP
December – no meeting
November 27, 2018: Special Screening of ACES film “Resilience” and interactive discussion
WATCH TRAILER: “Resilience” film website https://kpjrfilms.co/resilience/
Blankies Brunch: FRN is helping to promote the baby blanket drive that Mountain State Healthy Families is doing.
October 23, 2018: Region 2 Youth @ Work Guest speaker Steve Cline and plan November meeting
September 25, 2018: Cabell County Quick Guide Sept. 2018 launch
Girl Power volunteers needed for set up on Oct. 8th afternoon
ACES “Paper Tiger” showing and discussion Sept. 25, 6:30-9 at Marshall Univ. Student Center and MU Mid-Ohio Valley campus
Flower Power Fundraiser wrap up
August 28, 2018: Agency news and Ideas for the best methods of promotion
- Flower Power Fundraiser now through Sept 25th
- CCSET- ACES “Paper Tiger” showing and discussion Sept. 25, 6:30-9 at Marshall Univ. Student Center and MU Mid-Ohio Valley campus
- Partners in Prevention plan – Girl Power Event for middle school girls Oct 8th
- Resource Guides – Cabell County Quick Guide revision #2 and Youth Enrichment Program draft review for edits
- Oral Health campaign – new mini-grant awarded
July 24, 2018: Cabell Co. Quick Guide review draft #1
2018-19 FRN outcome data – ideas for tracking strategies
ACES stipend awarded for film showing and discussion of “Paper Tigers” – event Sept. 25th
June 26th, 2018: Update on Pathways to Summer Fun guide, Parental Resiliency resources and Discussion on Foster Care by Mission WV – Speaker: Kylee Hassan, Communications Outreach Director for Mission West Virginia’s FrameWorks program that finds families for children waiting in the foster care system. Contact: Kylee Hassan firstname.lastname@example.org, Ph.: 304-562-0723, www.missionwv.org/frameworks
May 22nd, 2018 : Workshop – Tools from“Your Money Your Goals” –Financial Empowerment helps builds protective factors with the families.
Your Money, Your Goals toolkit is from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The toolkit has information that helps you have the money conversation with the people you serve.
Use the tools to help achieve goals and work through challenges.
Introduction to income and spending tracker and bill calendar from the toolkit – “Behind on Bills?”
April 24th, 2018: Topics: Good Beginnings campaign – Social Emotional Development of Children
Protective Factors – everyday actions that make a difference to families
TIME & DATE – This workshop replaces the usual Cabell FRN meeting March 27.
February 27, 2018 – Planning Good Beginnings Campaign
Guest presenter: Angelo Fiorvante from Cabell-Huntington Convention & Visitors Bureau discussing local events
January 23, 2018 – Agency updates
February Oral Health Campaign & ways to be involved
- Brush, Book, Bed (BBB), a program of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), has a simple and clear message for parents:
- Each night, help your children to brush their teeth.
- Read a favorite book (or two)!
- Get to bed at a regular time each night.
It is a great way to promote good health habits, family literacy, good sleep and routines for kids.
Club McFinn Junior – opportunities for partnership
December – no meeting
November 28, 11 am – 12:30 pm, at Cabell Huntington Health Dept.
Topics: 2017 Year in review, Ideas for 2018, Agency news
October 24: New WV FRN information tools: handout – WV FRN Building Community Capital, WV FRN videos, Template for local design – Ideas?
- CQI Survey Review
- Plans for the Annual Meeting
September 26: WORKSHOP: Social Media Made Simple workshop will be held in place of the September 26th meeting.
August 22: Planning for Empowering Girls event
What is Circle of Parents (COP)? Presented by Robin Hughes, Family Resource Specialist with Legal Aid of WV
Circle of Parents (COP) is a national network of parent-led groups, where parents and caregivers share ideas, celebrate successes and address the challenges surrounding parenting. COP begin in 2000 and now has groups in two dozen states. West Virginia launched COP in 2012 with five pilot organizations, which have since grown to more than a dozen sponsoring organizations holding groups across the state. COP groups can be open to the general community or tailored to people who share particular interest or circumstances. All groups include seven elements: Inclusiveness, Trust, Respect, Experience-Based, Ownership, Positive Parenting and Shared leadership.
July 25 – 2018 Future Ideas – FRN meeting & training topics, Partners for Club McFinn, Good beginnings pinwheel locations, Recruiting speakers for classes, Event calendar usage & promotion
June 27 – Teen Dating Violence: Presenter: Rychelle Moses,Youth Services Coordinator/Shelter Manager from Branches Domestic Violence Shelter
- Statistics behind teen dating violence (ages 12-college)
- Different types of abuse
- More common types for teens to experience
- Some of the red flags so agencies will know how to recognize it if you see it.
Announcements & Agency resources – What’s new to share? websites & Facebook info
Event schedule Summer on the terrace Family Resource Center at Marcum Terrace Updates -Sponsored in part by WV Strengthening Families
May 23- Summer Programing: plans and schedules
April – NO MEETING – APRIL 25th
Good Beginnings campaign launched in April.
Social media campaign on FRN Facebook – #I Support Good Beginnings
March 28th, 2017
How can you help children have a good beginning?
“The first 1000 days” campaign event – 1,000 pinwheels will be planted and on display over the next 3 months to represent the importance of the first 1000 days of a child’s life.
Research discussion about resources from: Harvard Family Research Project, Thirty Million Words® Initiative, Zero To Three, The Ounce and WV PBS
WV Public Broadcasting System “The first 1000 days”
February 28th, 2017
SPEAKER: Wendy Mosteller, Regional Oral Health Coordinator
Children’s Dental Health Promotion resources to share
Planning – review dates for “The first 1000 days” event and Pinwheel Garden
Agency resources – What’s new to share? links to websites and Facebook
January 24th, 2017: Agency resources – What’s new to share? links to websites and Facebook
Plan Children’s Dental Health Promotion
NO MEETING December 27th
Time Management & Organization: Plan Your Work, Work Your Plan
November 30, from 9 to noon
Campbell Woods, 1002 Third Avenue
RSVP by November 28 – Registration for this workshop is required in order to prepare food and materials.
- Overview of the new Labor Laws
- Introduction of the Pareto Principle and the 4 Quadrants of Time Management towards a better understanding of how to plan your daily work, improve delegation and prioritization, protect yourself from time robbers and stay in your lane doing the things you’re best suited to do, at the proper time
Brunch will be served at 9 am. A $5 suggested donation to cover the costs.
Parking: Pullman Square parking garage
IF you have questions, please contact Debra Harris Bowyer, Cabell County Family Resource Network email@example.com .
Joel Jones, Campbell Woods – Mr. Jones earned a Juris Doctor from the West Virginia College of Law and is a member of the Order of the Coif. He received his Bachelor of Science degree at Marshall University in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology. A member of the West Virginia State Bar, his court admissions include the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals, United States District Court of the Southern District of West Virginia, Northern District of West Virginia, and the Supreme Court of Ohio.
His professional affiliations include the Energy and Mineral Law Foundation and the Federalist Society. Mr. Jones is a member of the Greater Huntington Estate Planning Council and the Huntington Regional Chamber of Commerce’s Generation Huntington.
EDUCATION: Marshall University, B.A. (2012), West Virginia University College of Law, J.D. (2015)
BAR ADMISSIONS: West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals (2015), U.S. District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia (2015), Northern District of West Virginia (2015) and the Supreme Court of Ohio (2016)
Jeremy Turner, EPIC Mission, Inc. – Mr. Turner is a native of Huntington, WV, is the Founder and Managing Director of the nonprofit and small business coaching and consulting firm EPIC Mission. Since earning his Bachelor of Arts in Psychology from Marshall University in 1997, Jeremy has served in leadership roles for industry giants and grassroots startup ventures within the for-profit and nonprofit sectors. Mr. Turner is also a DISC-Certified Behavioral Consultant and Certified Behavioral Life Coach with broad-ranging professional experience and a voracious appetite for self-directed learning. Jeremy is a sought after speaker, coach, consultant and workshop presenter, and has worked with many groups and organizations on topics including board development, business and nonprofit basics, succession planning, leadership, strategic planning, organizational development and human behavior. These skills and experiences continue to prove valuable as he and his team acquire and serve new clients, primarily throughout the Tri-State Area and the Carolinas.
- Oral Health initiatives
- Plan Annual Meeting
- Resource Guide final version
- Resource Guide updates continuation – What’s new? What’s Changed?
- Partners in Prevention – # of Pinwheels to order
Updates: Strengthening Families: Club McFinn Junior at the Mall at 11 TODAY – McFinn Junior Dream Team will not be meeting. Instead a project meeting to wrap up SF Mini-grant project Club McFinn initiatives at 12:15 today at Logan’s.
Resource Information &Networking: Strategies & partnerships for sharing info NEW – http://www.cabellfrn.org/social/ = Website page that has Facebook post links under Social Connections Tab on website
Resource Guide updates – What’s new? What’s Changed?
Partners in Prevention – Ideas, strategies and partnerships for 2017 Pinwheels for Prevention
Updates: Strengthening Families: Club McFinn Junior at the Mall at 11, afterward the McFinn Junior Dream Team will be meeting at noon at the “Unsmashable” Pirate Ship: Plans for Fall Tuesdays for Toddler activities. Location: right outside J. C. Penney’s entrance.
Resource Information & Networking: Strategies & partnerships for sharing info
>> NEW – http://www.cabellfrn.org/social/ = Website page that has Facebook post links
- FRN meeting: Community Capacity survey ideas to promote to active partners
- Ideas, strategies and partnerships for 2017 Pinwheels for Prevention
- Updates: Strengthening Families, Cabell County Student Empowerment Team Cruise In event updates…
- Newspaper ad, PDF of the flyer about event, Link to the Mall’s YouTube event video and the Radio spot are all posted on the CCSET website and CCSET & FRN Facebook posts, so you can share it from there. Please SHARE!
- Club McFinn Junior Community based initiative at the Family Resource Network is preparing 53 school supply kits for this Thursday. IF you would to donate school supplies, bring them with you to FRC meeting July 27 at 10 at Housing Authority or contact Shane Randolph
- Club McFinn Junior at the Mall at 11:Marshall Football players will be joining the children. Come join us and wear your MU green! Flood relief care kits will be packed.
- The McFinn Junior Dream Team will being meeting at noon at the “Unsmashable” Pirate Ship: Plans begin for Fall Tuesdays for Toddler activities. location: right outside the J. C. Penney’s entrance.
June 28, 2016
Updates: Strengthening Families – Club McFinn Junior Community based initiative at the Family Resource Network this summer.
Information: Teen Pregnancy Prevention survey – Mission WV