For Immediate Release (7.30.15)
Stuff the Bus events to provide items to ensure student success
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. — For five years, one event has helped ensure students are prepared for the school year.
United Way of the River Cities and Ohio University Proctorville Center are partnering for the fifth annual Stuff the Bus event. The event will provide school supplies and other items for students who need them.
This year, Stuff the Bus will be Saturday, Aug. 8 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the following locations:
- CABELL COUNTY
- Barboursville Walmart: 25 Nichols Drive in Barboursville
- Huntington Walmart: 3333 U.S. Route 60 in Huntington
- WAYNE COUNTY
- Wayne Walmart: 100 McGinnis Drive in Wayne
- LINCOLN COUNTY
- Hudson’s IGA: Route 10 South Lincoln Plaza in West Hamlin
- Piggly Wiggly: 8337 Court Avenue in Hamlin
- MASON COUNTY
- Mason Walmart: 320 Mallard Lane in Mason
- LAWRENCE COUNTY, OHIO
- South Point Walmart: 354 Private Drive 288 in South Point
Community members are asked to purchase items to help “stuff” a Tri-State Transit Authority (TTA) bus. TTA buses will be at the Barboursville, Huntington, Wayne and South Point Walmart locations on Aug. 8. In Lincoln County, residents will stuff a Tri-River Transit bus, and in Mason County, a school bus.
Each school system provided a list of needed items, and those lists will be distributed at each location the day of the event. Lists are also available at www.unitedwayrivercities.org/stuffbus.html.
“United Way of the River Cities is thrilled to be partnering with the school systems in all five counties we serve,” said Andrea Roy, United Way of the River Cities’ director of community impact. “This is the first year Stuff the Bus will be in each county. Stuff the Bus is such an easy way for communities to support their local students; if each shopper will just add one extra item to their purchases — a box of Crayons, a T-shirt, a snack — together, we can make sure all students are equipped for success.”
Those interested in helping with Stuff the Bus may do so in the following ways:
- Pre-event donations may be made prior to Aug. 8. Designated donation boxes and item lists will be available in participating locations.
- Join us on Aug. 8, shop at Walmart and make a donation to “Stuff the Bus.”
- Monetary donations will be collected the day of the event to purchase items for students who need them.
- One-to-two-hour volunteer shifts are available. Volunteers will help collect purchases outside of the stores, sort the items for distribution and assist with the delivery of items to their final destinations. To volunteer for the event, sign up at www.unitedwevolunteer.org.
For more information about Stuff the Bus or to volunteer, contact Andrea Roy at 304-523-8929, ext. 107 or email@example.com.
About United Way of the River Cities:
United Way of the River Cities partners with our diverse and united community to solve its greatest issues. United Way supports programs and strategies that address critical issues in the Focus Areas of Education, Income, Health and Safety-Net Services. This support is in the form of fundraising, grant writing and convening partnerships. When donors invest in United Way of the River Cities, they can be confident that their dollars will remain local to help change the lives of people in Cabell, Wayne, Lincoln and Mason counties in West Virginia and Lawrence County, Ohio. Contributions will be invested in the best programs and strategies to get the best results for the community. For more information about United Way of the River Cities, contact 304. 523.8929 or visit www.unitedwayrivercities.org. “Like” our page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/unitedwayoftherivercities and follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/UWRiverCities.
# # #
United Way of the River Cities
820 Madison Avenue
Huntington, WV 25704
Contact: Kaylin Adkins
304.523.8929 x 113 (office)